Saturday, November 12, 2011

The Huhlets Have Taken My Brain cells

It started in 2007 when I was pregnant with Jimmy.  I started forgetting things and becoming absent-minded.      Appointments were forgotten, important and expensive things were thrown away by accident… Pete couldn’t recognize me because I was not my usual on-the-ball self.  I called it “mommy brain” attributing it to the physical, emotional and mental changes that took place as I had given birth to our children (to be referred to as Huhlets). 

One of the beauties of parenthood is that it’s changed me in ways I didn’t expect.  I used to be a perfectionist – I wanted and expected myself to do things perfectly all the time.  I was a good kid growing up and never got in trouble.   If I made a mistake at work, I’d be disappointed in myself for days.  I tried my darnedest to never do anything wrong because I thought that was the only way that I’d deserve good things and to be loved.   It’s a ridiculous way of thinking and I needed to change.  Not only for my own sanity but I’d never want the Huhlets to feel like they have to be perfect and can’t make a mistake. 

Having kids has rearranged my priorities.  I’ve had to let go of trying to be perfect.  At first it was frustrating not being able to do it all but now I find it kind of liberating.  Now all of my efforts go toward doing things for them and everything else comes second.   I may forget to send out a birthday card or the dishes might sit for a day but the Huhlets are always clean, fed and loved.

Here are a couple of funny examples of my mommy brain.

One time right after Ashley was born, I was in a rush to take Jimmy to school.  When we were walking to his class, I realized I had my shorts on backwards.  (they were pull on maternity shorts so there were no buttons)  

Another time we were again, in a rush to leave the house to go to a 4th of July party.  As we were driving to the party, I look down and realize I didn’t have shoes on but house slippers.
my slippers were not as cute as these
I know I’m not the only one.  We went to our pediatrician (who is also a friend) who has two kids of her own.  She had on two different color shoes that day…

I’d love to hear what kinds of wacky things you’ve done as a result of “mommy brain” so please add it as a comment here.  If you are not a mommy and have done wacky things like this, I’d love to hear that too!

3 comments:

  1. Amy, I love reading your blog! Keep them coming! :)
    I have mommy brain just like you (may have started before the baby but definitely have gotten worse). :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've misplaced my cell phone and car keys every day for the last eight and a half years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Hester - thanks and I'll keep on writing!
    @Christine - they should invent some sort of device that can adhere those items to our bodies so that we never lose them (and sell it on SkyMall).

    ReplyDelete